This cheesy Sausage and rice recipe can be made in one pot and served casserole-style. You can use Italian, Chicken or ground sausage. For color and crunch, add bell peppers.
This recipe will allow you to make all the casserole ingredients in one pan. Refer to the instructions on how much liquid you need (we will use chicken broth) before you start.
You can cook the rice separate and leave out the broth ingredient. To combine the casserole ingredients, you will need 2 cups of cooked rice.
Keep it in an airtight container. You can either refrigerate for 3days or freeze up to 3months. For quick and easy lunches, this recipe can be frozen and reheated very well.
One Pot Sausage and Rice
- 11 oz sausage see notes
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10.75 oz cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 ¼ cups white long grain rice uncooked
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper sliced
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
For the Prep Work
- Put rice in a strainer under cool water for one minute. This will remove any starch and prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom when it is cooked.
- The cheese should be shredded and placed aside. It will melt more easily if it is not chilled when it is added. Avoid packaged shredded cheese, as it may contain cellulose that prevents it melting well. Measure out remaining ingredients prior to cooking.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large-pot and heat on medium-heat. For color and texture, slice the sausage and sear it on both sides. Put aside the sausage from the pan.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter to the onions and add the diced onions. Cook for 5 minutes or till the onions are softened. Add the garlic and cook for few minute.
- To the pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and the chicken broth. To give the dish more flavor, run a silicone spatula across the bottom of your pot to remove any brown remanence from the sausage.
- Add the rice. and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover tightly and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers seal the lid and don’t stir. This will cause the rice to become stickier and release starch and cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat. Cover it. Let it rest for 10 minutes. During this time, any rice that remains on the bottom of the pot will be released.
- Reduce to low-heat. Mix in the cream of chicken soup, cheese, milk and sour cream. Mix well. Add in the sausage and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through. Turn off the heat and serve.
Please, if you like this One Pot Sausage and Rice recipe, don’t forget to give the STAR RATE (★★★★★) or comment below. Thanks. You can see the full recipe here thecozycook.
For make this recipe later, you can PIN IT!