Hearty vegan stew Italian style including gnocchi dumplings, meaty jackfruit, carrots and peas along with a thick red wine gravy.
Who does not enjoy a comforting vegan stew at this time?
And should you create a loaf of the crusty bread to dip in to it you’re certainly that the king / queen of the castle!
No beef, one-pot reassuring stew that assesses all of the boxes. Rich, savory and whole foods plant established recipe.
The leftovers keep well in the refrigerator up to 4-days. They may also be frozen in lidded freezer proof containers or mason jars around 4-months.
You can use about 1 lb of diced golden-potatoes rather than gnocchi or some other homemade-dumplings.
Hearty Vegan Stew
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- 2 carrots sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika you can sub sweet paprika
- 6 cups vegetable stock low sodium
- 1 lb gnocchi Italian potato dumplings
- ¾ cup frozen green peas thawed out and rinsed
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 lb jackfruit pieces rinsed well
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup red wine
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat a heavy bottom dutch oven over medium-low-heat and sautee the carrot and onion at a drop of oil or a dash of water till the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook a couple of seconds till aromatic and then add the thyme, jackfruit bits, bay along with also the red-wine. Simmer till the wine is nearly evaporated.
- Meanwhile whisk the flour with the vegetable-stock till blended and add it into the pot with all the jackfruit. Bring to a simmer and stir in the paprika and cloves.
- Cook everything together for 45 minutes till the jackfruit is fork tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, gnocchi and green beans and cook a couple added minutes till the gnocchi float to the top and the green beans are cooked to your own liking.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and whole-cloves and season the stew into a own taste with pepper and sea-salt.
- Serve and stir with fresh parsley.