This creamy white chicken chili is easy to make on the stovetop, in a slow cooker or in an instant pot. This is a great weeknight meal because you can use any leftover chicken.
This recipe is so easy. This soup can be made on the stovetop, in a slow cooker or in an instant pot depending on your circumstances. This soup is pretty foolproof!
This recipe is healthy. Many white bean chili recipes call to use half and half, cream or cream cheese. This one is different. This recipe is creamy thanks to a delicious broth base. Greek yogurt can be substituted for it.
I love the fact that you can add leftover cooked chicken or turkey (or leftover turkey) to speed up the process. However, raw chicken can also be used and can be cooked in the broth.
You can store white chicken chili in the fridge for 3-4 days after making. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 small yellow onion chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced (or 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder)
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup corn frozen or fresh
- 2 heaping cups cooked chicken shredded (rotisserie or left-over chicken*)
- 1½ tsp cumin
- ½ small lime juice from
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chilies
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 15 oz cans Great Northern beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Toppings:
- cilantro, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, green onion, avocado, or other desired toppings
- Over medium-high-heat, heat olive oil in large (6-6 quart) saucepan. Add the onion & saute till tender. Then add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, paprika, green chilies, lime juice, cayenne, oregano and season with pepper and salt to taste. Next drain and rinse beans in a strainer.
- Measure out a big ladleful of the beans and put it in a food processor with a little broth from the soup. Blend till smooth (this step is optional, but it will give you the creamy & thick texture). Add whole beans, pureed beans and corn to the soup pot.
- Bring the mixture simmer and cook for about 15-30 minutes, then cover and continue to cook. Remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream, cooked chicken.
- Serve garnished with shredded cheese, cilantro, tortilla chips and avocado slices if desired.
Like this recipe! Pin it to your favorite board NOW!
You can see the full recipe here tastesbetterfromscratch.